In Case of an Electrical Emergency Electrical Safety-SMART! Home


Kid calling 911

Electric Shock

If someone has been shocked, there's a chance they may still be in contact with the source of the electricity. Do NOT touch the person or anything he or she is touching. You could become part of electricity's path and be shocked or even killed! Take these three steps:

  1. Call 911 and tell them it is an electrical accident. Be prepared to give your address if they ask for it.
  2. Alert an adult. When the victim is not in contact with the source of electricity and you're sure there is no danger, tell an adult to give first aid for electrical injury. This may include CPR.
  3. Don't touch burns, break blisters, or remove burned clothing. Electrical shock may cause burns inside the body, so be sure the person is taken to a doctor.